Monday, December 15, 2008

Weird things from weird people (well, Andy)

I don't imagine most of you know this or care, but Andy taught me my first guitar lesson when he had Adam Stod's guitar on loan. He taught me how to play "Come as You Are" and little tricks like hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, and possibly bends. Basically, the basics came to me from Andy. About the only really basic thing I learned elsewhere were harmonics. So, thanks, Andy. It is weird to attribute my first guitar learning to you.

Also, my first learning about manual transmission driving came when Andy borrowed Kevin McCardle's crappy old car. He explained when you shift up and down and why. He told me that you shift just into second if you are moving at all - rarely ever into first. And then, flash forward years later, at a BMW ride-and-drive event in Houston, I beat my teacher in a little autocross which was quite rewarding.

The first time I ever took the wheel in concert with the pedals was in Keith Kuykendall's old Mazda pickup. We were out on Rice field road, and Craig was in the bed. It was a manual, but, miraculously, I didn't shake it or stall it even once. I was pretty sure I was the king of drivingness, but it didn't last.

Fast forward a few years, and Morgan was teaching me to drive that sweet demon of an old Volvo he and Chanda had. I shook it. I stalled it. I nearly ran it into poles. The knob would pop off and my hand would get cut by the lever. I never got it down, but I got it moving under its own power. It was awesome.

I know these are lessons that bore or anger many of you, but I have to say I am really appreciative. So thanks, Andy, Keith, and Morgan.

8 comments:

Chanda said...

I am bored and angry.

C-rish said...

nice to know. that reminds me what do you want for christmas?! because i have no idea what to get you and it is almost that time.

Martin Andrews said...

Sounds like somebody needs to post something! What you poppin Chan?

Chanda said...

I am referring to Brian's lessons. Nothing to post.

Chanda said...

And I'm kidding. Yikes, read his blog again.

Martin Andrews said...

AHHHHHHHH! I guess I should read what Brian writes once in a while.

Brian said...

Andy - you are a scrub.

Chanda - it only took me about a second (of anger) before I got it.

Martin Andrews said...

I want a re-match. That day was a fluke. You put us both in Beemers again and we'll see.