Thursday, December 18, 2008

Price of Beauty





Rust Bucket was the name of our 1978 Buick V8 station wagon. The floors had rusted out in several areas allowing dust and exhaust to enter. When going down a dirt road you could hardly breathe. Coleman King named our car. I remember one time while we were giving him a ride somewhere he ducked when he thought one of his friends would see him.
Rust Bucket was the first car I drove. We were at church during the week and Mom was in the building in some meeting while I was waiting by myself out side. I sat in the drivers seat thinking a long time whether or not I should start the car and take it for a spin. I knew Mom was going to be there a long time. It was such a rush. Joy riding in the church parking lot doing donuts. I miss her.


It was a 7-8 seater. Two or three up front, three in the middle, and two in the back facing back. Even when the A/C did work, it never got to the back of the Rust Bucket. Despite the inconvenience of the rumble seat, it was still better than sitting next to the twins in their car seats screaming at the top of their lungs. Dad often said that they were the best stereo around. Other than the twins, the car had no working radio.




Quite often Chanda and I would sit in the back. Dad had installed a fan to help cool us down. We all thought is was very crafty and hi-tech. Chanda normally fought for the position closest to the fan. Every time Chanda's head got close to the fan by the car taking a turn or her head being shoved in that direction, her hair would get caught. I remember laughing so hard every time it happened. Chanda's head would get stuck in the fan several times a trip at times. I smile to this day thinking of Chanda crying because Dad couldn't hear her over the twins screaming to turn off the fan. Those were the days.
While I was in college, my dad was driving to work. Just after turning on 2218 the back axle fell off. Rust Bucket was no more.

3 comments:

Brian said...

2 addendos: I am pretty sure it was 1977 Buick Estate Wagon, and I sorta remember the radio working at some point. I remember the antenna embedded in the front glass and being impressed with its ability to pick up stations compared to regular, plebian, external antennae.

Chanda said...

I'm pretty sure the rust bucket died long before you went to college. Remember Blue Beluga? And I'm also pretty sure I never fought to sit next to those nightmare fans. Sticky, screaming twins were better.

Rugo said...

I always remember loving the rumble seat, also being crammed back there with Tracy and Ammo. Now we just need a profile of the LeBaron!