Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Oil Well Riders

By popular demand, (Tim, you are so popular) the "Oil Well Rider" story:

Clearly, riding oil wells does not make much sense, as they are rather stationary. However, the pumps move rather rhythmically, and they are kinda fun. Once, when Uncle Tim and the girls were over at the trailer, I believe, Craig and I went on a short journey. We went to the pump just south of Powerline and just east of our road - you guys remember the one?

Anyway, we took turns grabbing part of the "head" when it approached the ground and holding on as it lifted us far into the air (as far as Texas flatlanders reckon vertical distance). It was all quite exhilarating.

After a bit of this goofiness, we noticed that Tim and Tracy had followed or gone out searching for us. We saw them plodding east down Powerline and turn and see us as one of us (I don't remember which of us it was) rose slowly into the air aboard the pump. They turned and ran homeward.

We freaked - we sprinted the half mile or so home. We arrived shortly after they did in time to hear them ratting us out to Dad mid-conversation. He turned and looked at us appraisingly. Craig, in a fit of evasive brilliance, said, "Yep. We were riding the oil wells. We're the oil well riders."

The next thing gave birth to classic post-Chanda Ruggles Legend. He began the song.

"We're the ooooiiill weeelll riders!" Over and over. I am working hard trying to remember whether Craig had the presence of mind to come up with other lyrics, but I don't think he did. Dad looked at him further. I was flabbergasted, and sorta tried to sing along, but I wasn't with it. Dad eventually got tired of it and told Tim especially to stop being bothersome. I must say, Tim's look was pretty classic as well. He was both pissed and livid, and it was all classic.

3 comments:

Rugo said...

As mentioned in person, I refuse to believe I can be pissed and livid at the same time because they are the same thing, one simply being more "vernacular" than the other.

Brian said...

Think what the superposition must entail, then. That was pretty much you.

That's right - superposition. Like waves.

Alison said...

Oh my goodness, I so remember this. I was at the house when you guys came back and I remember how you guys kept telling timmy how dumb he was and that he must have been going crazy. Haha good times!