Saturday, December 20, 2008

Cell phones are good

Mom used to stay up and wait for me. Once, I had been out late the weekend before and was sorta on thin ice, but I needed to do a trip for science class. I got it allowed for me to go to a rock laser show at the planetarium to do a write-up for. Mom said I needed to be home by 11, which I thought was reasonable. Well, while we (Keith Kuykendall, Craig Lowe, Brad Odell, etc.) were in there, Keith's car got towed. After the show, the one cell phone in the group was with Brad's car, and we split with them before we discovered the car had been towed.

Coming out to find your car gone sucks, and it sucked for me to see someone else's car gone. Nowadays, it wouldn't be that big of a deal because I could just ring up Mom and tell her the situation. Pre-cell-proliferation, this was an issue. Anyway, someone's parent came and picked my carload up and took us back to Keith's house where I called home. I talked to Dad and told him what was up, and I asked him to tell mom. He said OK, and apparently promptly fell asleep.

When I got home, Mom had fallen asleep on the couch waiting up for me, and it was about 1:00-1:30 at this point. I gently woke her, andshe launched into her tirade. I spluttered, "Wait, wait, wait! I called! talk to Dad - our car got towed and it isn't my fault please don't kill me!"

Mom checked with Dad and I am alive.

No comments: