Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Texan's first snow

On the 27th of July, 1998, Craig and I landed in Philadelphia after a layover in the Cincinnati airport (in Kentucky) after spending a week at summer camp at the south tip of South Padre Island kicking it with dolphins and Mexico. On December 23rd, school got out for Christmas break. The snow started falling even before school let out, but it wasn't sticking yet.

Seminary made for a daily afternoon nap ritual, and when I woke up, it was dark outside. Only it wasn't very dark. The snow reflects light so well that you can see as well as on a very cloudy day - even better if there are street lights. I decided to take a walk in the beautiful fluffiness.

As I trundled along with my gorgeous locks flowing in the wind behind me (my hair was FREAKING long at this point), I marveled at the flakes gently floating downward like delicate leaves in the stream. I let the snow land on my nose, and blinked when it landed on my eyelashes.

Then I decided I was really, really cold, and I went home for some hot chocolate.

Thus began my hatred of the white death. It freezes my Texas.

2 comments:

Martin Andrews said...

To you contract the H-O-M-O in Utah? That post is disturbing.

Brian said...

clearly you don't get the bitter hatred buried behind fluffy crap.

I HATE SNOW!!!!!