Saturday, December 20, 2008

Maybe it was a stroke...

So one day we sit down to dinner, and we are about to begin. Dad turned to me and says, "Did you clean the peanut butter off the porch?"

Naturally, I was taken aback and a little confused. "What?" I asked calmly back.

"Did you get the peanut butter off the porch like I asked?"

"What?"

"Brian, did you get the peanut butter off the porch?" with a bit more urgency.

"Dad, I don't think I know what you are talking about."

Dad is getting frustrated with my incompetence at this point. He raises his voice and says, "Get the peanut butter off the porch!"

"There is no peanut butter on the porch, Dad."

"I just saw it out there, and I told you to clean it up!"

The other kids are chuckling by now, and I am getting worried, and Dad is getting red in the face. It took Mom intervening to discover the root here. I guess there was a bit of a mess of cat food on the porch, and Dad had peanut butter on the brain. It was funnier later. I was scared of a belting at the time - for once I would have been innocent.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

How funny, Brian still actually has this problem. Even though he should have been able to deduce that your dad was talking about cat food instead of peanut butter, (assuming from Brian's story that he had previously told Brian to remove the cat food)he still can't do deductions like that. If I say one wrong word the entire sentence is lost on him as if I'm speaking some foreign language.

Chanda said...

I don't remember it this way. I remember Dad standing and shouting at all of us to get the peanut butter off the porch. He was in a tizzy and we were all cracking up.

Martin Andrews said...

I so remember that. It was great.

C-rish said...

he sorta has that problem now.....it is really weird and frustrating. but i guess it runs in the family carrie cuz some of the ruggles boys do that to make things funny hahahaha!! you'll get used to it carrie...i hope.