Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Craig, The Window & Me

The summer after my freshman year of college I came home for a couple months before flying out to Taiwan. I was working the 6-6 night shift at Dennys so I slept a lot during the day. I had no bed or room--I slept on the couch. But I was frequently in my old room on the computer chatting with Morgan.

One day, just before I had to leave for work, I wanted to get on the computer to see if Morgan had written. Craig was on it, playing some computer game. I pestered him to get off so I could check. He wouldn't. I pestered some more. Craig yelled at me to go away. I pestered some more. Craig lost it. He stood up (way bigger than me, as all ya'll were) and shoved me into the window. My bum went right through it, shattering the glass.

I have no recollection of what happened next, our reactions, my injuries etc. But I do remember that Mom put an old neighborhood watch sign in place of the broken window. The funniest part of the whole story, I think, is when I was talking about this with mom a few years back and she completely denied putting the neighborhood watch sign in place of the glass. She said she was sure she'd had a new pane of glass installed. I mean, was anything in our house repaired, let alone professionally? Awesome. The best part of the window incident is the semi-yearly conversations I have about it with Craig, who just won't forgive himself. I love you Craigy!

4 comments:

Alison said...

I never knew that happened. And it is nice to know that I am not the only person in the world that has ever broken glass with that butt. But lucky for me, I had to get stitches. :S

Brian said...

I don't remember that. But I do remember not getting along with you especially well that summer. Also, I remember having that neighborhood watch sign later. Pretty subtle of Mom, there.

(In Spanish):
"Hey, have you seen the neighborhood watch sign?"

"I think those crazy bolillos stole and hung in their window!"

Just imagine - it is wonderful.

Chanda said...

Yes Brian, you were always yelling at me and then running off into the cotton fields and not coming back till dark. Words do not express how badly I wanted to be elsewhere that summer.

Tracethenfold said...

i love you too, sis. i hope i did at least something to make it feel less than horrible. i still think that Craig's most significant decoration for the trailer was throwing that chunk of cinder block into the bathroom door. he was almost as crazy as me.