Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Our biggest fan


One of my earliest memories is of me curled up under a blanket immediately in front of a gigantic metal fan. I actually remember doing this a lot. Part of the reason I could never sleep on a bed was because my body needed to b close to a fan for full resting action. This, mind you, was independent of the weather. Our hearty metal allies were originally recruited against the fierce Texas summers, but I slept right next to one even on cold nights, sometimes with several blankets to make up for the fact that all of my body heat was being sucked away. Crazy? Yes. Very.
We also used them to make wind tunnels by clothspinning blankets together. These things could take up a entire room and stayed up as long as we could convince Mom to let us have them.
Sometime someone discovered (and I think it was me) that if you attached a balloon to your favorite action figure, fired up the fan and tipped it vertical, lo and behold, the ting would hover! On medium you could usually fit a good four or five of these balloon warriors and they'd bounce around congenially, but when you shifted it to high, they'd start thrashing about wildly until only the victor remained. Marvels of engineering, those fans.

9 comments:

Alison said...

I can't sleep without a fan on all times of the year. Oh and these fans worked great in the forts we used to build.

Jennifer said...

Do you know how many years we disagreed on the fan in the room? Not just the metal one - the ceiling one, too. I was too cold; he was too without-the-fan.

Carrie said...

We had the same issue with the fan, but I got rid of it quick because it actually gave me a headache to have the cold air blowing on my face all night! So funnY!

Rugo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rugo said...

Mental note: totally marry a girl who loves fans.

Chanda said...

Fortunately for me Morgan is a fan of fans. Nothing is more soothing when drifting off to sleep.

Brian said...

Man, I like fans, too, but some of you are manic. I mostly like to be cool.

Also, I like the temperature to be good and low.

Brian said...

I miss fans. I wonder if hypnotherapy is an option.

Tracethenfold said...

i did love building forts with bed sheets, blankets, close pins, and fans. dad always said it was bad for the fans, but i still don't believe it.